Friday, July 5, 2013

Summerlicious - Sambucas on Church

I need to preface this post by clarifying that I don't think I have the proper language for reviewing food. Meaning, I don't have a grab-bag of descriptive (pretentious?) words that I can pull out of my ass to descibe the flavour of my filet mignon. Which is okay because I don't eat red meat.

I'm starting to veer off course here. Let's try again.

Summerlicious! For those who don't know, Summerlicious (and it's companion Winterlicious) is a city-wide event wherein participating restaurants (195 of them to be exact) have special 3-course prix fixe menus ranging in price (lunches at $15, $20 and $25, dinners at $25, $35 and $45). It's a great opportunity to try new places and get a lot of bang for your buck, especially for the cheap lunches. Which is where I come in.

Today my friend Jessie (what up grrrl) and I had a $15 lunch at Sambucas on Church, which she picked for us. For my appetizer I chose the tuna bruschetta baked with mixed cheese, for my main I had the pappardelle pasta with lobster tail and black tiger shrimp and for dessert I had the chocolate hazelnut tartufo. Not too shabby for $15, right? Though you certainly won't find lobster on every $15 lunch menu (which is why we both lobster'ed it up good and proper). My appetizer was good, kind of like a tuna melt bruschetta, which I was into. My main was full of lobster and shrimp so it was clearly a winner. My dessert was pretty run-of-the mill, not unlike a PC-brand frozen tartufo you could pick-up at Loblaws (Jessie won the dessert round with her chocolate mousse, which was delicious).

Now, I promised myself I would never turn into the kind of douchebag who takes pictures of their meals to Instagram or whatever but I also know that food posts really do look better with a visual so I briefly lapsed into douchebag territory today and took pictures of my food. I hope you guys appreciate this shit (apologies for the flash, the restaurant was romantically lit)...


First time taking food pictures, I totally forgot and dug right in...
So. Much. Lobster.
Both desserts! Jessie's mousse on the right took the gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment