Sunday, January 12, 2014

Next Stage Theatre Festival - Jack Your Body

The Next Stage Theatre Festival (NSTF) is an annual winter theatre event/showcase, produced by the Toronto Fringe, wherein previous Fringe works are able to take their productions "to the next level". Though there isn't an exact definition of what that expression means in this instance, for me it acts as an implicit guarantee that what you are going to see will not disappoint. I've mentioned before that one of the things to keep in mind when Fringe-ing is that it can be a mixed bag with regards to quality, but the NSTF offerings are solid.

Case in point is Jack Your Body, a dance piece by Mix Mix Dance Collective, which was originally performed at the 2013 Fringe Festival to rave reviews. I was unable to catch it during its original run, so I made sure to snap up tickets so I could see if it lived up to the hype. Annnnnnnnd (pause for dramatic effect) it absolutely did. When it comes to dance productions, I will fully admit that if the dancing is good I don't mind if there isn't much of a plot or story. Fortunately, I did not have to make such a concession for Jack Your Body.

Cast - Jack Your Body
Photo credit: Jesse Catibog
Although the story isn't told with much dialogue, it does manage to tell a cohesive and dynamic story, showcasing the evolution of street/underground dance trends, focusing (in reverse chronological order) on the 1970s-1990s. There is funk, there is hip-hop, there is vogue-ing and much more. Through dance and movement it addresses issues of gender, race and class without resorting to heavy-handed preaching or overly literal representations. The cast displays an incredibly impressive amount of skill and athleticism and it would be very difficult for me to single any one performer out as being better than the rest because just when I thought I had made that call, another dancer would get their spotlight moment and absolutely blow me away.

Emily Law ("Emme Fatale") & Ashley Perez ("Colours")
Choreographers/Performers - Jack Your Body
Photo credit: Tanja Tiziana.
The music used for the production was perfectly picked and the original choreography by dancers Emily Law and Ashley Perez was... well let's just put it this way: I never use the word "fierce" but if I did, Jack Your Body would be a perfect occasion. Instead, I'll rely on a much more "Katharine" expression: they tore shit up. The audience was enthralled and I could tell that many of us were barely able to sit still in our seats because watching the cast really makes you want to DANCE. The trick to good dancing is they make it look so smooth and effortless that you convince yourself "I can totally do that!" and then you go home and try and fail miserably and realize just how talented these guys really are.

Amazing. See it.

The Next Stage Theatre Festival runs between January 8-19, with all productions staged at the Factory Theatre (125 Bathurst Street, at Adelaide). Ticket prices range from $10-$15.

No comments:

Post a Comment